Tuesday 22 December 2009

It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - A brief review


I've recently taken to watching all the movies on the AFI's 100 years ... 100 movies (2007 anniversary edition) list. One of the best for me so far has been "It's a Wonderful Life" directed by Frank Capra and starring James Stewart, Donna Reed and Lionel Barrymore.

I watched the preview to this movie first, to get a good sense of what it would be about. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the preview gave little or nothing of the movie away, something which I would later find to be the norm for movie previews of that era.

"It's a Wonderful Life" was a moving tale for me, and one to which I can affix the tag "life affirming". James Stewart put in a beautiful performance as the lead character (George Bailey), with Donna Reed as the love interest. I can't really fault the move; the characters were well written, the dialogue was good and the pace was appropriate for the movie and its message.

I heartily recommend this movie! 5 out of 5!

2 comments:

Ed Donnelly said...

I agree that "It's a wonderful life" is a great movie. Check out my version of that film on this funny website know as JIBJAB.
http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/vOs0RYeN3wrGN7Eh

EC said...

haha! Nice one...