Monday 19 December 2016

I Love Lucy (TV Series 1951 - 1957) - Brief Review

For a comedy series this old, it's amazing how current and funny the jokes are.  Of course I've heard about the series since I was a child, but never had the opportunity of watching it.  Having recently discovered it on Hulu, it's become one of my favorite comedies. There are 4 main characters; Lucy (Lucille Ball) - a wide-eyed slightly neurotic housewife; her husband Ricky Ricardo (Desi Arnaz), and their landlord & landlady, Fred (William Vance) and Ethel (Vivian Vance).

Lucy is the main comical character, with Ricky playing the sensible one.  Neither Fred nor Ethel are particularly sensible, which adds to the fun.  The series is fully scripted, but you wouldn't know it; wonderfully acted, genuinely funny (and not much is these days) and full of old-fashioned heart, I whole-heartedly recommend this to lovers of clean family comedy.

No comments: